Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Musicale

I'm like a 15 year old girl when it comes to music.  I get obsessed with one song/album/artist and I play them on repeat, over and over and over and over again.  Hey, stop judging me.  It could be worse.  At least I've outgrown angsty poetry and writing boys' initials over and over again.

I'm kind of surprised that my listening habits haven't made Batman stab me with a fork in an attempt to get something new playing on iTunes.  Although my iPod recently stopped working.  Maybe he arranged for it to have an "accident" with a full cup of water and a chainsaw.  (If he were sabotaging my electronic devices, I'd like to think he wouldn't do a half-assed job of it.)

Anyway, I've decided to share my obsessive love of these songs with the world in a feeble attempt to move on.

note:  Samson is the only video with an actual video, the rest are just the music.

1.  The acoustic version of Fine by Alkaline Trio, from the album This Addiction.



Why I love this:  I've loved Alkaline Trio since high school.  I must have listened to the song Radio a couple hundred times.  I haven't been overly impressed with their more recent albums with the exception of "Remains", and I've always loved their acoustic stuff.  The lyrics of this song are amazing too.  "If I'm the captain of this boat then all my shipmates are fools/ and all the stars in the world couldn't help me steer my way out of this kiddie pool."

2.  The album The Hazards of Love by the Decemberists



Why I love this: It's an entire album that tells a unified story.  Think of it like a rock opera with different characters and scenes.  Pretty damn cool.  I love The Decemberists and I love this album.

3.  Johnny Horton



Why I love this:  My dad must have played his "Johnny Horton's Greatest Hits" tape EVERY SINGLE TIME WE WERE IN THE CAR.  The only other artist I remember listening to just as frequently is Marty Robbins.  I recently bought the album on iTunes and have been dancing around the living room with Mo-mo to it.  His songs are frequently about history/tell a story, and I'm just dorky enough to think that is awesome. 

4.  Do Better by Say Anything, from their self-titled album



Why I love this:  I'm actually a bit ashamed of this one.  I like Say Anything but I admit that they're not...."good" in the strict musical sense.  This song is goofy and poppy and catchy.  I think I have this song playing in the back of my mind whenever I think I'm being lazy about something and not trying hard enough.

5.  Samson by Regina Spektor 



Why I love this:  It's pretty.  And sad.  Some of the lyrics make me think of when I was in Australia.  One of my friends gave me this CD and I've enjoyed it, it's not my usual type of music. 

6.  Once More With Feeling from the cast of Buffy the Vampire Slayer



Why I love this:  Because it's geeky.  Because I've spent the last year watching every single episode of Buffy and Angel.  Because I'm obsessed with Joss Wheadon.  Because I like musicals.  Because I have a gargantuan crush on the character Spike.  Take your pick, these are all valid reasons. 

3 comments:

  1. At regional Burning Man events last year, while other camps were blasting OOMPH OOMPH OOOMPH WAH WAH OOMPH OOMPH electronica crap, the bar I was running playing non-stop Marty Robbins. It was magical. People are still surprised when my ipod switches from Daft Punk to Marty Robbins to Kanye West to the Scissor Sisters to Harry Belefonte to Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Alkaline Trio song is goooooood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always had a crush on Angel...haha

    ReplyDelete