Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Greek Tacos

Note: Not my photo. But it turned out pretty much like this.

Source: Tasteofhome magazine

Makes 12 tacos according to the recipe. We used the larger taco shells with flat bottoms (the ones that stand up by themselves) and I would say we got maybe 8 or 9.

Prep time: 20 minutes or so

Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground beef (I subbed ground turkey and it was great)
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups fresh baby spinach (I think I'll add a third cup to make it healthier next time)
  • 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained (I don't like black olives, I just approximated the amount using kalamata olives)
  • 1 package taco shells
  • crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion


Directions
1. In large skillet, cook meat over medium heat, drain. Stir in the tomatoes, Greek seasoning, garlic and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 8-10 minutes or until thickened. Add spinach and olives; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted.

2. Meanwhile, place taco shells on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake following the directions on the box. Spoon in meat mixture, top with feta cheese and onion.

My Comments:
I liked it because it was simple, yummy and something different. If you sub the black olives for kalamata ones you probably don't need the full amount because they have such a strong taste. I also feel like it's healthier than regular tacos. The recipe would also work well with pita bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment